Thursday, 28 May 2015

Keeping the food bills cheap - how I do it

This may sound like an impossible task, but, I was once a Sainsburys devotee, spending upwards of £100 a week on food - and that was back when it was me, my husband and a toddler. Fast forward to now, we're a family of 5 with a puppy in tow, and I can bring it in around £40 a week. That covers 79 meals a week (my eldest has school lunches) across 2 adults and 2 kids as well as food for our two cats and puppy.

So, how do I do it? 

  • Make a list - as things run out during the week, I pop them on a list I keep stuck to the fridge. That way, I don't overbuy things because I can't quite remember.
  • Supermarket hop - I'm fortunate enough to have all the budget supermarkets nearby, Lidl, Aldi and Netto. I'm also walking distance from most of the bigger supermarkets too, so I take advantage of it. I pick up the super six from Aldi, pop to Jack Fulton for short dated crisps (they don't last long with my husband around anyway!), head to the greengrocer for fruit & veg and top up other bits wherever is cheapest.
  • Bulk buy deals - I don't mean the sort of deals that come up all the time, like fajita kits, crisps and the like, I mean serious reductions. Our local Waitrose reduce their fruit and veg heavily sometimes, so I buy it up while I can. A recent example is red peppers, reduced to 30p a kilo, making each pepper about 5p - I made red pepper soup and roasted pepper pasta sauce for the freezer as well as chopping and freezing some in portions for cooking at a later date.
  • Check the cost per gram - my husband is guilty of choosing the cheaper option on the label without checking the weight. Pasta, rice, pulses - they are generally cheaper in larger packets, and they keep just fine. 
  • Make your own treats - I try to make a batch of flapjacks and muesli every week, that way I know what we're eating and it works out cheaper too.
  • Don't snub own brands - I buy a lot of porridge oats - a bag of Asda Smartprice oats are 75p a kilo, the same from Quaker is £2.18. Surely oats are oats?


What do you do to keep your food shop bill down?

2 comments:

  1. Are you looking for a loan? personal or business loans?
    I was so devastated when my business was going down due to financial situation until I found Mr Pedro and his working loan company website then I contacted them via Email: cf-loans@outlook.com  and Telegram / whatsapp +393510140339 then I was given a terms and conditions on how there loans works, I was happy because they willing to fund my business with the amount of 86,000.00 Pounds with a loan repayment of 2% annual return to expand my business. The whole process was so transparent and swift. Gracias.
    This message is for you to help you get through.

    ReplyDelete